Do you have yet again too many carrots left over and don’t know what to do with them? You can hardly buy carrots individually these days and only get them in huge packets so I always end up with those “not-needed” carrots. This is when I remembered my mums Carrot Antipasti. Super easy done and such a delicious way to eat more carrots!
- 7 large carrots, peeled and quartered
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 table spoons white wine vinegar (or more if you like is spicy)
- 2 table spoons of capers set in vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the carrots and then chop them in half, then again into quarters
2. Then you add the carrot into a pot full of water. Add one tablespoon of salt into the water and bring them to a boil. Once the water boils, turn down the heat and boil the carrots until soft.
3. Meanwhile prepare the marinade: inside a deep plate or bowl add the capers, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil and some salt and then mix it.
4. Once the carrots are boiled, drain the carrots and add the hot carrots into the marinade and mix them well. It’s important that they are hot so that the marinade can soak into the carrots whilst it is cooling down!
You can eat them whilst they are warm or later when cooled down. Place them in the fridge and let them cool down overnight and eat them next day. Just ensure you place the carrots 30 min. prior to dinner on the table so they are back to room temperature.
On the second day they taste the best!
Tip: You can swap the capers with black olives or the basil with parsley.
Note: Carrots are full of fiber as wells as vitamin A! They are great for your eye sight, skin and cells 🙂
Fresh raw garlic have fantastic anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and 5 fresh basil leaves provide 3% of the recommended daily value for vitamin A. Herbs are full of antioxidants and they help fight bacteria and viruses and may even be an anti-aging agent!