In this series I will concentrate about our body and its fluids. So first up: Water! By mass our body’s cells consist of 65-90% of water! Amazing, isn’t it! And yet many of us simply just don’t drink enough water to replenish that what we lose every day. So, here is all you need to know about drinking Water…
Why we need water
Our body needs water for the following functions:
- Replenish our cells
- Lubricate our joints
- Protect spinal cord and other sensitive tissues
- Regulate body temperature
- Help with digestion
- Flush out bacteria
- Help fills us up and snack less food
How much water do we need to drink?
You need 1.5 liters of water per day just to keep our body running!
Therefore adults need to drink 3-4 liters of plain water per day to be healthy!
Stay away from the losers! They make you pass out more water and it dehydrates you!
What are the water losers?
- Black/green tea
- Caffeinated drinks
If you can’t stay away from the losers then replenish the loss with more water. So drink a glass of water with each cuppa or glass of wine!
How do I know that I get enough water?
Look at the color of your urine. Yep, I know gross but it’s true. The darker the color, the more dehydrated you are. So you want to aim for a light yellow color.
However, if we drink the “water losers” such as coffee the urine is not reliable.
Other signs of dehydration
- Headaches and tiredness
- We don’t feel hungry at all
- We feel constantly “puckish”. Drink a glass of water first as we are usually thirsty!
- Eaten food doesn’t go down right (get’s stuck) because we have don’t have enough fluid to make it go down
- Dizziness when we get up
Water and exercise
- Planning to exercise for longer than an hour? Then drink the night before plenty of water so that your muscles are charged up!
- Drink 500 ml to 1 liter during an hour of exercise
- Keep drinking water after exercise
Water and food
Our body takes around 30 minutes to 1 hour to absorb the water we drink. However, when we eat and drink at the same time, our body thinks it is food and does not get absorbed as it should. It is recommended to drink 1-2 glasses of water an hour before you eat and a glass of water with your food.
How to drink more water
- Keep a bottle of water next to your bed so when you wake up the first thing you do is drink water
- Carry a small bottle of water with you in your backpack/handbag
- Drink a glass of water with each coffee/tea/ glass of wine
- Drink a glass of water before your meal (also makes you fuller and you eat less)
- Add fresh lemon slices or mint leaves or fresh berries into your water for added taste!
It is hard to drink plain water all day and for some it may take concious efforts to do so. But from my experience it will turn into a habit and you drink water without thinking about it! I hope the above reasons are enough to motivate you to drink up so you stay healthy, hydrated and young!
It’s called the fountain of youth for a reason 🙂