There are different reasons why people chose to eat no meat or any animal products at all. Some become vegetarians to fight for animal rights, others because they care for the environment and others because it is the healthiest way to eat. Eating a whole food and plant based diet comes with lots of health benefits. This was my reason to look into the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle…
Why I Stopped Eating Meat
It’s about health! Just before my 30th birthday (am 33 now) I had an episode where I had chest pain for a few hours whilst going out for dinner. The next day I went to see the doctor and they discovered that I had really high cholesterol levels. I was shocked! I honestly thought that I am the healthiest chick in her 30’s!!!
My “old diet” was a Low Carb- High- Protein
- White meat: chicken or turkey
- Fish/Seafood: Tuna, Salmon, Prawns
- Cheeses like ricotta, feta, cottage
- Rarely red meat, carbs (if I ate it whole meal or gluten free), sweets, sugar
- Some fruit and some veggies
- Exercise 5 times per week
AND I WAS SICK!!!! So, I Googled how to lower cholesterol and came across the plant based vegan diet! So here is what I discovered:
Why Meat is Unhealthy
- It has high amount of inflammatory fats and in excess it can clott to your main arteries causing strokes or heart disease
- Factory farmed animals are caged into tiny spaces and therefore get sick
- Being sick they get pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones.
- Meat contain obesogens due to the injected hormones: A chemical that disrupts our hormones and metabolism which leads to weight gain!
- Animal products are highly acidic and are toxic for your body and promotes weight gain
- Processed meats are full of preservatives and salt which are cancer causing
Why Dairy can be poisonous you can learn Learn Here
Food that cause Diseases [According to Research]
- high consumption of dairy in females can cause breast cancer
- high amount of red meat consumption can cause colon cancer
- high intake of dairy is related to the bone disease osteoporosis
Conclusion & Back to my Health
4 years forwarded and on a mostly Plant Based Diet have resulted in healthy annual blood tests! My cholesterol levels are always spot on and so are my triglycerides and LDL cholesterol levels 🙂
This was and still is enough for me to stay on this path. Why don’t you give it a go?!